Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Raw Food Weekend Failure

On Wednesday I put some chick peas to soak in water so that I could sprout them and make some raw hummus. I've been wanting to have a raw food weekend for a while and I've been gathering recipes for it. I made some almond milk on Friday evening so that it would be cold for my breakfast. I put in a few soft dates to make a bit sweet because most recipes seem to call for something sweet in it. I used double the amount of water to almonds but I lost some because it overflowed with so much liquid.

There was enough left to have on both mornings with my raw muesli that I made. I ground the nuts up in the food processor a little while so that they wouldn't be so big. I enjoyed the almond milk with the muesli.




Lunch was zucchini pasta with a tomato sauce. Unfortunately I don't really like tomatoes anymore and I found the sauce to be too tart and left half of it uneaten. Next time I'll try some other kind of sauce.




Supper was suppose to be hummus in a red pepper. Some of the chickpeas sprouted faster than others, so when it was time to make the hummus I picked out the ones with longer sprouts and left the rest to use on Sunday so that they would have another day to sprout. The hummus was really horrible! I struggled to eat it but I couldn't and gave up on my raw food weekend. I threw the rest of the chickpeas, tomato sauce, chopped up red pepper and hummus into a saucepan with some veg broth and cooked it. Much better, but I won't do that again!

I also had a simple raw coleslaw with supper. I like it a lot.

I'm hoping to try again someday but I'll have to find new recipes.

2 comments:

Carrie™ said...

Too bad your weekend didn't work out for you. A lot of fellow bloggers try raw for a while, and seem to like it well enough. I would be miserable - I like hot food too much.
I'm going to e-mail you the pie recipe, but it might not be until later in the week. My step-daughter graduates high school today, so things are a flurry of activity. If I can, I'll try for tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Oooh that raw weekend idea sounds like it'd be fun! Too bad about the hummus and the chickpeas though :( But the zucchini pasta looks so yummy!

http://goneraw.com has a ton of great recipes that you can try out if you ever decide to do this again! :D